Build a Continuous Arm Windsor Chair with Peter Galbert at Highland Woodworking –
Master Chairmaker Peter Galbert returns to Atlanta for a 7 day hands-on class. The Continuous Arm Windsor Chair is an icon of American furniture, and was an innovation in the development of the Windsor style and technology.
Peter has taught at select woodworking schools around the country and teaches at his workshop in New England, where he builds chairs full time. His work integrates the best of time-honored techniques and demonstrates a deep understanding of materials and methods.
What should you expect from this class? “Build a Continuous Arm Windsor Chair with Peter Galbert” covers all the building action required to take the project from tree to completed chair.
* Splitting parts from a log, shaving, bending and joining them into their hand carved seat.
* Learn about topics including sharpening, wood technology and design.
* Peter demystifies the angles and curves that go into making a successful chair while demonstrating how hand tools are the most effective
way to build an heirloom chair.
* You’ll need to bring your own tools, so please check the tool list at Highland Woodworking for details.
* You’ll also need a Shaving Horse, which are available for rent if you don’t own one. Please be sure to reserve one when you register for
Sign up soon before the class fills. This is an opportunity you don’t want to pass up!
Regardless of whether you can make it to Peter’s class or not, one innovative tool you can pick up that appears to be able to make your shop time a lot more productive and accurate is the Galbert Caliper.
* This “woodturner’s tape rule” makes sizing the
diameter of a spindle easier than ever before.
* Takes a direct reading caliper to accurately displays
the diameter of a workpiece from 1/2″ up to 2-3/4″,
to the nearest 32nd, while the workpiece is being turned.
* Stainless steel, glass reinforced nylon & clear polycarbonate.
To learn more about this ingenious little tool
Filed in: Blog